Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Diaper friendly laundry detergent

I was on a mission not that long ago, searching for cloth diaper friendly laundry detergent. I saw many made with fells naptha or ivory soaps, as well as borax. Now I knew that soaps are bad for cloth diapers as they cause a residue buildup that can affect the absorbancy. Yeah, nobody wants that. So after doing some research and asking a lot of people, I came up with a solution that works for us!

Ingredients:

Washing soda
Baking soda
Oxy clean free

I got a big tub from Tupperware and mixed them together in that. Since it's all powder, be careful NOT to breath it in!

Mix 3 parts of washing soda, 1 part of baking soda, and 1 part of oxy clean. I used a cup for the measurements. It really helped. I made it about a month ago and I still have a bunch left.

In the wash I use 1 TBSP of the detergent per diaper load. If you have a large load, you can add 2 TBSP in the washer instead of just one. If things get "funky" you *can* add a tsp of borax to the washer. If you have hard water, you can also look into 1 tsp of powdered Calgon to soften the water with each load.

Of course you can also use this detergent for your regular laundry as well:) I hope you find this helpful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment